Five years guys! Five years since Abby and I were first tricked into moving to Cambodia. (Well technically we were tricked a year in advance before we stepped on a plane to leave the luxuries of Canada and step onto the soils of adventure. We did plan a year prior to moving, and yet still were completely unprepared!) hmmmm…. That intro has real potential but the fact that I corrected the technicalities straight off the bat and the good stuff is stuck in brackets proves I am a real stick in the mud. Or maybe I am just very honest…..OR that I am so set on correcting people that I even correct myself in front of the masses. Well maybe there isn’t masses reading this but at least a handful! Wait, did I just go and correct myself again!? Stick + in the Mud = ME!
As a small celebration of our big 5 year Camboversary the girls and I took a little trip over to Sibu Malaysia. We stayed with some awesome friends of ours and had an amazing time. We tried durian, ( the stinkiest fruit on the planet but if ripe and if you can get past the smell of rotting garbage tastes…not too bad! So apparently, totally worth it…haha PS. Picture of durian with Malaysia pics) Anyways, we met lots of new people, we played games, we laughed, we danced, we fought….jokes! And we didn’t cry, so basically we had a great vacation!
After our trip to Malaysia we headed down south to one of my favorite places ever….Sok San Beach. The truth is it is a terrible place so please don’t go there, you’ll hate it. Also you might ruin the white sand beaches and clear waters that no one else hardly knows about. I imagine the delicious food and non commercialized aspects of this island wouldn’t appeal to you either so just don’t bother. Honestly I am just saying the name of this place of terror so that you know what you are looking at in the pictures I upload. Seriously though, I highly recommend NOT going there…. its a raging station of relaxation. Yucky!
Now you know what we did to reward ourselves, so its time for you to listen to me talk about my feelings. Don’t worry, it won’t be nearly as bad as when I give a full detailed account of my dreams for the past week. Then again, maybe you might be the type of person to
find them intriguing… you know who doesn’t like listening to my dreams? Basically any member of my family! haha Seriously though, I wanted to just share a few aspects of what Cambodia has done for me. Now I know I have written story after story about the crazy things that have happened and lets face it, continue to happen to us here in Cambodia, but that’s life anywhere! Sometimes things are amazing and sometimes things are the worst.
What I do know, is that dealing with a new culture, new climate, new language…..new everything does two things to a person. One, it opens your eyes! You realize that even though you may only be familiar with the society you were raised in, a massive amount of people live their lives very very differently. For me, in the beginning, there were elements that I criticized, but that was because I only knew my way. I can honestly say what I understand now, even compared to what I understood
2 or 3 years into living here is completely different. Every single time you think you know what its all about, you get a massive life lesson and realize you know barely anything. It has been nothing less than a constant humbling experience for me, and I know there is more to come. *throws one wimpy ribbon in the air that represents a sarcastic blast of excitement* It’s all been a molding process, and I realize I wouldn’t want to be the person I was before. I am eternally thankful for all the experiences Cambodia and the people here have given to me. It has made me a better person… I think! I am not sure I would be who I am today unless I came here! DISCLAIMER: No I am not saying I was a TERRIBLE person before, nor am I saying others are terrible because they aren’t here. I simply am trying to express that I feel like a better person. Soooo if you liked me before, WOW YOU WILL LOVE ME NOW! hahahaha. Sorry, couldn’t resist!
What is the other thing that a big fat move does to a person? Its the fun part! It brings out all of your negative qualities, some that you just didn’t even know existed, and lays ’em all out for everyone to see, including yourself! THEN you get the task of changing those qualities into positives. It is really really easy, so don’t worry! So easy its not easy! In fact its so easy its not easy you might cry! A LOT! Then, you feel better, after a good cry…… and realize, crying changed nothing and you still need to adjust your thinking, your habits and ADJUST! See….FUN! No disclaimer here guys…take it or leave it!
Ok everyone, now…*drum roll*…it is time for my famous ( not famous ) list called:
List of things Sarah learned in 2017 List!
- Nothing. Just kidding. Does this count as an item. I am writing this so, yes it totally does!
- I really need to manage my time better. I run out of time and inspiration to write my blog posts and draw or paint. Those aren’t the most important things in life, but I wish I did a little bit more!
- I LOVE museums. Well, not boring ones. I love the Met in New York City. I spent 3 days there this summer and I think about it ALL the time. I could have easily spent another 3 days there and felt exactly the same. There is just something completely fascinating about seeing actual artifacts from thousands of years ago that makes the time man has actually existed seem like a flash in the pan! Makes you realize the important things! Deep….well, that is me trying to sound like I am cultured in a fashionable way!
- Ribs are so cheap here!! Can you believe it took us 5 years to stinking make ribs! Do you even know how much I enjoy ribs. You probably don’t, I really love BBQ ribs. I might marry ribs!
A few days ago we bought ribs and I am still excited about the meal even though it is completely finished….that’s real love! Not some teenage crush on chicken wings kinda feeling…. or weird lobster fling! It’s different, and yes I realize how crazy I must sound now. NEXT
- I recently learned that I was using a face wash that was too harsh! That’s boring for you, but ground breaking for me!
- I learned that a strange man with most of his teeth missing named Shadow plans on waiting for me because I am apparently beautiful in his eyes and “a girl like me deserves a man like him.” He knew this after talking to me for 2 minutes. I believe him….and not just because he is a foot shorter than me, but because he seemed genuine…….ly cray cray!
- In Canada making nacho’s was one of my favorite things to do. It is a hassle and stupid here to make them at home. So, nacho night at Lone Pine is an essential part to my existence in Cambodia! It is also a 2 year tradition with traditions within traditions. Sorry to sound cryptic…the people who need to understand, will understand. Wlok
- Five years and I have STILL not pooped my pants! Now you subtle and shy people might find that gross and only written for shock value. But here….its worth at least three high fives!
- When I grow up I don’t actually want to be an astronaut anymore. I have come to realize that I just don’t travel so smoothly as I thought I did. I always get motion sickness and now I get a bit anxious. So the whole being shot into the unknown seems a bit unappealing to me now. I mean, people change, so maybe when the time comes I will change my mind again.
- In years past when I would feel bored, I would just complain about it and lay on the couch like a rag doll. I have made a real effort to turn my boring situations into times where I accomplish things. So basically, instead of throwing a tantrum, I get things done. It’s amazing how much I can accomplish! WAIT A SECOND……that’s what adults do! UGH….FINE, I guess I am one of those. #gross *throws additional tantrum*
Well readers, that is it! I would say that about wraps up a solid 5 years of Cambo life and strange blog posts. The next 5 years should be interesting…..
Please enjoy the mixing pot of photos I am going to share. Read the descriptions if you don’t know what you are looking at. Also, if you forget to check this blog regular but don’t want to miss my non-scheduled posts….throw your email address in the subscription box and okay the email from WordPress. ( no spam, don’t worry ) In addition, feel free to also leave a comment….if you want.
NOT MALAYSIA PICS!